Types of Cases
The types of cases we see are based on the individual risk factors.
- Decreased physical health and mobility.
- Developmentally disabled.
- Declining mental status (whether mental health or dementia related).
- Social/family/caregiver isolation.
- History of family violence.
- History of substance abuse/addictions.
Cases are under-reported because:
- Denial: the individual is not able to acknowledge the abuse is occurring because of their physical/mental well-being.
- Embarrassment: Individuals may be embarrassed to admit being mistreated by someone they know or are related to. They can also be embarrassed if they have fallen for a scam.
- Dependency: Individuals can be dependent on the ones who are abusing them, so they have a fear of abandonment or retaliation.